Saturday, March 3, 2012

The Art of Patina'd Metal "GRUNDGY GLAMOR"





The Art of Patina’d Metals “ GRUNDGY GLAMOR”

Patina metals are beautiful in your jewelry creations. With the cost of Sterling Silver now, it is becoming the trend to use Base Metals like copper and brass which are certainly lovely in the own right but it make them even more of a treasure when you can add a lovely color to the metal. Not only does it open up the design options but also gives you full creative license on metal. You can now add layers of colors and effects giving the Mixed Media Art Jewelry artist a whole new pallet to explore. While the process is, well a process it is very achievable with a few simple steps and the right products.

I love the look of time worn, unearthed and grunge however those items in the jewelry world are getting harder and harder to come by. So being able to create the effect with some of the new base metal findings that are available is the next best thing.  Oh, and the endless options to create metal treasures (from sheet metal) in color like Green Verde or Ocean Blue. Oh, la, la pure bliss.
Now take that same piece and add a swipe, smidge or rub of gilders past over after you seal it and you just add even more glamor. Hmmmm GRUNGY GLAMMOR, Love it! Now you just need to throw a little bling in there to complete the look. I’ve included a pair of earrings in this post that I did with a single coat in Green Verde the rubbed with German Silver Gilders paste; I also put a topcoat of wax just to give it a final coat of protection.
In addition to bling I also love pearls which I use allot in my creations, these earrings have a nice earth tone mix in 4-6mm size.  I love how the have a elegant gypsy feel. 
I love creating with patina's it's my new passion so if you have a pice you have please share I would love to see! 


1 comment:

  1. I love what you did with these earrings. I've been to your etsy site where you mostly sell supplies. Awesome place for rhinestones. And I love them in patina as you did.

    Do you also have a site where you sell you own jewelry, please? Thanks, Anna

    ReplyDelete